About the Program
Guidelines for Christmas Sponsors
Below is a suggested shopping list for a family of four. You may prefer to give a gift certificate instead of meats, as some young families do not know how to prepare a turkey. Please make sure that you supply enough food to give each family member a generous meal. You may wish to include extra food staples for the remainder of the holiday or month.
- 4 cans meat (2 tuna, 2 stew or chili) l Disposable roasting pan (optional)
- 2 cans yams/sweet potatoes l Milk (1 gallon of 2%)
- 8 cans of common vegetables l Peanut butter (2 lbs.)
- 8 cans fruit l Cheese (5 lb.)
- 4 large cans soup l Rice (2 lb.)
- 2 cans cranberry sauce l Pasta/dried beans (2 lb.)
- 4 boxes macaroni and cheese l Bread/dinner rolls
- 1 box dry soup l Cocoa mix
- 1 box powdered milk l Coffee and/or tea
- 2 boxes hot/cold cereal l Staples (flour, sugar, cooking oil, etc.)
You may want to include a festive tablecloth and decorations. Additional items may be added such as bar soap, deodorant, toothpaste, laundry soap and paper products.
Guidelines for Gifts
To adopt a family, contact The Salvation Army Office nearest you.
How To Apply